Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Gasland


Last night I could not sleep. As I sat up with HBO keeping me company, I watched a documentary called Gasland. The more I watched, well, shock is the best word. I am not sure if I was naive, or just a busy mom who fell for the 'clean natural gas' marketing crap, but I was in for a rude awakening.

Add to my worry when I see- that our property sits just inside the red zone. Maybe it is because I could picture myself like Josh Fox, having received a letter offering cash for drilling rights. At first glance it would be tempting to consider the offer when you have some acreage (since I fell for the 'clean fuel' one-liner).

Well, now that one takes the time to think about it, it makes complete sense that drilling in the same earth we drill for water, could easily contaminate our water supply. Why was this not brought to light before? Maybe it was and we didn't take notice. Or maybe it wasn't, and we should be thanking Josh for bringing this to our attention.
If you haven't seen it, watch it. A major eye opener.

Gasland by Josh Fox


http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/

http://sundance.bside.com/2010/films/gasland_sundance2010






No comments:

Post a Comment